Re: [Exim] "headers charset" in runtime configuration

Author: Norihisa Washitake
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "headers charset" in runtime configuration
(I sent this message to exim-users-admin@??? by mistake, so am
re-sending it...)

Hi Andreas,

On 2003/08/29 23:25:23, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Actually my understanding was that 'headers charset' simply changes
> the way $h and $header expansions work, _no_ matter whether these
> expansion are used in the filter file or any other place in exim.conf.

I noticed that the 'headers charset' is the character set of headers in
filters. That's near your understanding, and I find it reasonable.
So I mailed Philip to ignore my post.

However, 'misunderstanding' or a confusion still occurs because there is
no way to change the character set in headers of outgoing messages which
exim newly creates. As most Japanese postmasters (should) know that
messages should not be sent in EUC-JP charset, though filters _are_
usually written in it (that's why i wrote the first patch). So they
want two character sets for filters and messages sent out separately.

Anyway, I believe the best solution should be introduction of a new
option like 'message charset' or something.

--
Norihisa Washitake
Dept of Earth Sciences, Sci, The University of Tokyo