Re: [Exim] virus scanners and exim

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] virus scanners and exim
> I haven't seen this on FreeBSD, where threads are emulated in userland.
> I'm using a UNIX socket to talk to clamd, not TCP.
>
> Are you sure your platform's threading model is stable for other loaded
> applications (thus ruling it out as a possible cause of the problem)?

I am using Linux 2.4, also using a socket for clamd. AFAIK, the
clamav maintainers know of the stability problem, but it is still a
young project. At 0.* versions, you can not expect maturity yet.

> I'm blocking about 4,500 viruses a day (mean 1 virus every 19.2
> seconds), and scanning about 45,000 a day (mean 1 message every 1.9
> seconds); it's not even breaking a sweat. I guess production and load
> are two different things. :-)

I detect about half a million malware mails per day. Yes, production
and load are two different things. ;)

Did clamav ever detect false positives for anybody here? It did not
happen to me personally yet, but that's what I still worry about most,
which is why I only tag malware mails so far.

Michael