Re: [Exim] PIX sign

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Richard Welty
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] PIX sign
On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 04:59:37PM -0400,
Richard Welty <rwelty@???> is thought to have said:

> i just had a client turn off SMTP fixup on a PIX which i believe was
> causing his problem. however, i wanted to double check on the symptoms and
> make sure i'm on the right path.
>
> the problem is with MUAs trying to send email to an exim smarthost using
> SMTP. the symptom was seemingly randomly issued RSETs sent to both the exim
> smarthost and the client MUA with no obvious reason for it. sessions
> between the same MUA and smarthost would go through 10 seconds before or
> after.
>
> is this the PIX? it's the only reason i can come up with, given that SMTP
> fixup is known to be problematic.

The other thing to check is if the MUA is set to use TLS and the client
machine is running AntiVirus software which scans the SMTP session. Some AV
software (I've seen this with Norton) will break the session when encrypting
the session is attempted.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality