Re: [Exim] User experience: Exim 3.38 to Exim 4.22 under Deb…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] User experience: Exim 3.38 to Exim 4.22 under Debian
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:20:40PM +1200, Enkidu wrote:
> I've just moved from Exim 3.38 to Exim 4.22 under Debian.

[...]
> I was partly encouraged to do so by someone who said that, under
> Debian, the upgrade is smooth and painless.

Usually such sententences are followed, by something along the lines
of: "... but I immediately proved that he was completely wrong" or
"... which I cannot backup with any real-world data, *my* upgrade was
an expedition to the mountain of doom." *g*

> Well, it was, mostly.

Phew. ;-)

[...]
> 5) Once you have made changes to the files in /etc/exim4 you run the
> script update-exim4.conf which generates a replacement
> config.autogenerated.

I would suggest using 'invoke-rc.d exim4 reload' (or /etc/init.d/exim4
reload if you like tab-completion) which _also_ tells exim to reread
the changed configuration.

> 6) In my experience you need to *carefully* check the generated
> configs. eg, it did not generate a system filter file reference in the
> config.autogenerated. I didn't bother too much, since this is a home
> setup.

> 7) All of this may be in the docs. I've read some of them, obviously,
> but didn't come across an actual upgrade guide.

/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz and update-exim4.conf(8)
should answer most of the questions, you managed to solve all by
yourself.

> 8) I've still got some minor things to tweak to get back to where I
> was before with exim (3.38). But overall, it's no drama.

Thanks for the feedback.
            cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"