Re: [Exim] exim HELO ack

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim HELO ack
[ On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 at 20:21:57 (+0100), Alan J. Flavell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] exim HELO ack
>
> It *can* be problematic: some misguided but otherwise bona fide hosts
> treat rejection at HELO time as retryable.

If you have evidence of any currently deployed mailer with such breakage
then I'd love to read about it.

I've not seen any important case of this happening in a long time (and
I've been doing HELO validation for as long as anyone).

> Some idiot MTA software will then ignore your carefully crafted
> rejection message, and tell the would-be sender that the recipient
> doesn't exist - but that's not your problem.

Indeed that happens anyway -- I use it as encouragement to have people
upgrade their broken MTAs, but that rarely works either.... :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>