Re: [Exim] Re: Disk partitioning for Exim

Author: Colm MacCarthaigh
To: John O' Donnell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Disk partitioning for Exim
John,

This really is more of a general question rather than an exim one, but
it's mostly dependent on where you store mail. Exim will store it's
queue in /var (or rather /var/spool/exim) so it makes sense to have
at least a few gigs there.

Where you put the rest depends on what you want to use for mail-storage.
If you plan on using home directory based mailspools or Maildirs
(ie for UW or courier IMAP) then a large /home is what you need. If
you plan on using Cyrus, or more traditional PoP servers or just
plain-old unix mailers then /var/mail is where you'll need the space :)

In general for Debian you need a reasonably small /, a 5gig /usr
leaves plenty of room for expansion and the rest is dependent on
application.

If you can give further details I'll be happy to deal with it in
more detail off-list :)