Re: [Exim] untrusted_set_sender and address lists in exim4

Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] untrusted_set_sender and address lists in exim4
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:41:57PM +0900, Elijah Mori wrote:
> I have a problem. When I used exim 3 the untrusted_set_sender directive
> took only a boolean, but in exim 4 it needs an 'address list'. What an
> address list?

See "10.13 Address lists" in spec.txt.

> I need to be able to allow my www-data user to send email
> with a different sender line so that errors don't get sent back to
> www-data.

Don't mix up the "Sender:"-header line and the Envelope-from (the
sender of a message). www-data needs to be able to send mail with a
different Envelope-from.

> Does this 'address list' specify users which are allowed to send with
> modified Sender lines, or does it specify the addresses users are
> allowed to set the Sender line to?

Quoting spec.txt 13.22:
    The "untrusted_set_sender" option allows you to permit untrusted users to
    set other envelope sender addresses in a controlled way. When it is set,
    untrusted users are allowed to set envelope sender addresses that match
    any of the patterns in the list.

so the latter is correct. (Two examples follow immediately in spec.txt)

> Everything I try fails to work, and
> I'm not even sure I have the format correct!

What did you try?
            cu andreas