Re: [Exim] use of _ in HELO... again

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] use of _ in HELO... again
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Wakko Warner wrote:

> I've run into a problem where I've been told by management to break the RFCs
> and allow the use of _ in an HELO.
>
> I sent them the relative RFCs about this. They came back with "RFCs aren't
> standards".

Point them at RFC 2026: "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 3".
Amongst other things, it says

Some RFCs document Internet Standards. These RFCs form the 'STD'
subseries of the RFC series [4]. When a specification has been
adopted as an Internet Standard, it is given the additional label
"STDxxx", but it keeps its RFC number and its place in the RFC
series.

Of course, if they don't believe the meta-standard that defines the
standards....