[Exim] [REQ] exim transport for Kannel

Autor: Stipe Tolj
A: exim-users, Nigel.Metheringham
Assumpte: [Exim] [REQ] exim transport for Kannel
Hi Nigel,

sorry for bothering you. I wrote a simple Exim transport module that
implements an SMTP-to-SMS chain. Which means Exim receives Email with
subject (or mail body) to the Kannel SMS gateway (www.kannel.org).

This does work as expected. If you want I can pass you a copy of the
sources. It's not yet released, but I will put it to the Add-On
section on our www.kannel.org site soon.

Now, why I write this is the problem I still have in terms of
performance. When an mail is processed by Exim and the router decides
to pass it to the kannel transport, exim will fork of a child that
gets all required information and connects to the bearerbox (the SMS
gateway process) of Kannel for passing the message over a TCP
connection.

The problem is that this happens for every mail. What I'd like to have
is a mechanism to let Exim connect only *once* to bearerbox and
pipeline the messages over that connection without the need to
re-establish the TCP connects every time.

Is there a way to have an Exim instance that "stays" allive and gets
all message that are transported over a specific transport?.

Think of it as if you would want to use Keep-Alive in HTTP. If you
want to pass the subject line as a GET request variable and you would
like to you Keep-Alive to an HTTP server, you would open up the
connection and would like to pass all messages to that instance that
has the connection.

Any help would be highly appriated.

BTW, I'm *not* on the exim list, so please reply directly. Thanks.

Stipe

(Kannel Project co-ordination)

tolj@???
Wapme Systems AG