Re: [Exim] How does an end user use .forward to modify deliv…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Michael Gersten
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How does an end user use .forward to modify delivery?
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Michael Gersten wrote:

> Ideally:
>    I want to have .forward run a program (probably a script) that returns
> a filename. Exim uses that filename as if it were the file specified in
> the .forward originally.

This is possible, if your sysadmin has configured Exim to permit it, by
making use of the ${run ... } expansion item. However, your sysadmin may
not want to allow arbitrary commands to be run from users' filters, and
so might have locked this out. Or might do so in future...

> Probably un-acceptable:
>    Requiring .forward to specify a program that is responsible for storing
> the message in the target file. This requires my program to manage all
> of the mailbox locking protocol, and
>        A: That's awfully complicated,
>        B: Mailbox locking protocol changes between OS's, releases, delivery
> programs, etc.
>        C: Since exim might be delivering two messages to me at the same time
> in different forks (if I understand correctly), locking is a MUST.

> What can an end user do for this?

Use procmail, as another poster suggested.