Re: [Exim] Postfix -> Exim

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Postfix -> Exim
Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Maybe I should thank my stars that people scanning for all headers with
> spamassasin normally whitelist list traffic, or at least dump mail into a
> bulkmail folder where they can look at it, instead of rejecting it
> outright ...

Just for the record, both SA-Exim and Postfix 2.0.14 snapshot/smtpd
proxy/amavisd-new can be configured to save smtp-550 rejected spam (and
virus with amavis) to a quarantine directory. Even though the sender
sees and gets an smtp 550 rejection. This is what I always do. If this
had not been possible, I would not have used either - belt and braces.
This is not yet possible with Exiscan. Nor is it possible with standard
Postfix 1.1.x/2.0.x - it will be with standard Postfix 2.1, to be
released later this year.

With Postfix/amavisd-new, postmaster (or whoever) gets an e-mail for
each rejected spam as it comes in; with SA-Exim one can easily write a
custom 15-line shell script to do this, called out of cron. Which is
what I do.

There's a Perl script generally available for reinjecting quarantined
Postfix mail without any more scanning (uses the general postfix smtpd
setup), but I don't know how to reinject SA-Exim quarantined mail
without it being scanned again. I think it would have to use a second
Exim instance running on another port that doesn't use SA-Exim. This is
because of the completely different design of the two MTAs.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw

Looking backwards is always easy with hindsight

http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: tonni@???