Re: [Exim] User-configurable delay on outgoing mail

Author: Tamas TEVESZ
To: Paul Makepeace
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] User-configurable delay on outgoing mail
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> After a few war-stories about mis-sending emails and hurriedly
> killall'ing exim before it's had a chance to deliver, a recent
> discussion morphed into how something like that could actually be made
> to work as a service.
>
> Aim: each user who has an SMTP AUTH account can configure a delay on all
> outgoing mail during which time they can (somehow) revoke the mail. How
> to do this? Has anyone already done this?
>
> One vaguely viable solution occurred to me: a dedicated SMTP AUTH-only
> server operates in spool-only mode. A cron job then periodically scans
> the spool and then at the appropriate time copies the message -H and -D
> into the outgoing mail server's spool.

there's ${message_age} for you. its perhaps not impossible to cook up
a condition that, based on the ${sender_address} looks up a value for
${message_age} from a convenient source, and :defer:s the message, if
its found to be too young.

this immediately voids your problems of associating a message with its
owner and the moving of messages between queues. as for
administration, i guess you're left parsing outputs for exim -bp*,
-Mv(h|b) and friends... this sounds to be ways harder than the actual
configuration :)

--
[-]
... and the rest is silence.