Re: [Exim] Temproary local problem?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Muey
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Temproary local problem?
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Dan Muey wrote:

> Here's what the logs say about one of many:
> 2003-08-11 00:59:32 H=(bigfoot.com) [211.115.216.225] F=<fzpypp@???> temporarily rejected RCPT <scotth@???>: Could not complete sender verify
>
> So perhaps fzpypp@??? could not be verified as a valid sender to scotth@??? (which is a real, valid account FYI) and I don't want to relay spam of course but in this case it's just one one person sending emial to another form their isp's mail server They aren't relaying they are sending mail to a valid user not trying to use the server to send to someone/ alist outside the server.
> Why won't that go through then? What is it trying to do when it can't "complete sender verify"?

It could be doing all sorts of things, depending on your configuration.
Could be looking up the domain in the DNS, or looking up information in
a local database.

Use the -bh testing option to try to track down the problem.

Or maybe even a simple test verify:

exim -bv fzpypp@???

will show something.

> If it's related we also get a ton of "host lookup did not complete"
> errors even though we can do host,dig and all of that on the hosts
> that are failing no problem.

That's a DNS problem. Have you tried a *thorough* DNS test, that is, not
just plain old host,dig, but a check of all the relevant nameservers?
Sometimes one of a set is broken/out-of-date so host,dig usually works,
but every now and again, if it happens to choose the bad server, a DNS
query fails. [And I presume you did your dig test on the host on which
Exim is running.]

> So what can cause this error and what steps can I take
> to fix the "temporary local problem" whatever that is?

The wording "temporary local problem" is bland, so as not to give
information out that might be considered sensitive. However, the host
that gave that message should have logged more details of what the
problem was.