[Exim] Two IPv6 addresses

Author: Wouter Verhelst
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Two IPv6 addresses
--
Hi,

I've got a problem related to exim and IPv6:

My machine has two global IPv6 addresses; the oldest one being
3ffe:100:e:c::1; the newest one being 2001:ab8:2007:20::1. (please don't
start wasting my bandwidth :-)

On the network layer, they both work perfectly; they're routable, can be
pinged, and so on. However, when I try to connect to port 25, with Exim
3.35 (the one in Debian's stable release) running behind it, the 2001
address doesn't work; a connection is made, but a 220 banner is not
received; the connection will time out eventually.

There's a difference when I connect to the 3ffe address; in this case,
everything works as it should, i.e. exim replies immediately. Oddly,
when I do so, suddenly the 2001 address works too; if a connection was
open at that time, it receives a 220 banner, while new connections will
work perfectly for a while.

I'm not entirely sure whether the fault is exim's or the operating
system; for completeness, I'm running an up-to-date Debian Stable with a
self-compiled 2.4.20 Linux kernel; the system is an i386-based one.

Any insighst as to what could cause this are very welcome.

TIA,
--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a