Re: [Exim] How is the Message-ID generated?

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How is the Message-ID generated?
Hi Ethan, on Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:25:50 -0600 you wrote:

> Anyhow, I have a few domains but just one MX. I can't figure out why my
> Message-ID uses one domain over another. To top it off my wifes computer
> has a different @<name> than my machines.

The Message-ID is normally (although not always) generated by the e-mail
client. What e-mail software are you using? It will normally be set
according to the machine's hostname, though some e-mail software lets you
define a domain to be used in the Message-ID.

If a message has no Message-ID and Exim adds the Message-ID itself, it's
normally of the form <something>@primary_hostname (where primary_hostname
is the primary hostname of the machine running Exim, of course). That is,
unless you've set the message_id_header_domain option.

Tim