Re: [Exim] How do I relax ACL?

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How do I relax ACL?
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Philip Hazel wrote:

> If you want to accept messages with malformed headers, do not use
>
> verify = header_syntax
>
> It is as simple as that.

Right. Just in case it isn't obvious:

One might want to accept mail with broken headers from selected
sources or senders (at least as an interim measure until they've
fixing their problem), while rejecting broken headers from unknown
sources (spammers tend to be slovenly, and a lot of their
extrusions are defective in some way or another - we find a fair
amount of spam gets rejected by syntax checks).

This is easily organised in the DATA ACL, where one can specify
senders and/or other kinds of exceptions before actually applying the
"verify = header_syntax".

> This header line is syntactically invalid:
>
> From: DailyQuest@??? <DailyQuest@???>

Indeed. On the other hand, we do occasionally get hassled by
otherwise-bona-fide senders who are reluctant to repair their
protocol-violating mail on the grounds that "everyone else"
accepts it without protest. "Everyone else" usually turns out to be
recipients who are running non-conforming software from you-know-who,
and who are complaining bitterly about the amount of spam that they
are getting in their email. Funny old world.