Re: [Exim] inconsistent defer message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
CC: Matthias Waffenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Exim] inconsistent defer message
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, I wrote:

> I will run some tests on this tomorrow to see if I can either find a bug,
> or make it work.

It seems to work for me:

$ telnet myhost 25
Trying xxx.xxx.xx.xxx...
Connected to xxxxxx.xxx.cam.ac.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xxxxxx.xxx.cam.ac.uk ESMTP Exim 4.208 Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:39:29 +0100
mail from:<ph10@???>
250 OK
rcpt to:<ph10@???>
451 customized message

What I had in the configuration was

  test:
    driver = redirect
    domains = xxxxxx.xxx.cam.ac.uk
    allow_defer
    data = :defer: customized message

and

smtp_return_error_details

in the main part of the configuration.

OK, that's with the current Exim source. Better check with 4.20...

AHA! Something *has* changed. It doesn't work in 4.20. I must have
already fixed the bug... looking at the ChangeLog, I find the first
change to 4.20 was this:

 1. smtp_return_error_details was not giving details for temporary sender
    verification errors.

In fact, the fix applies to temporary receiver verification errors as
well.

So if you want this badly, pick up the current snapshot, which will have
this fix in it.