Re: [Exim] DB connection question(s)

Autor: Konrad Michels
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] DB connection question(s)
Hi Folks
Thanks for the feedback I got in this - much appreciated. Turns out
that my upstream provider's two DNS servers are not responding to
queries, and so the delay was caused by the system having to revert to
my alternative DNS servers for lookups. Changing my resolv.conf to
avoid the two unresponsive servers and hey-presto, problem resolved!

Glad it had nothing to do with the database!

Once again thanks for the feedback!

Later
Konrad

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 19:22, Joachim Wieland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:30:53PM +0100, Konrad Michels wrote:
> > Why this should suddenly be so today and not yesterday has got me more
> > than a little baffled, but ignoring that bit for now, am I correct then
> > in assuming that for every new SMTP session that requires a lookup from
> > a database for, for example, aliasing information, creates a new
> > connection to the database? Or does exim open a connection(s) to the
> > database on startup and simply re-use connections?
>
> I'm referring to the postgresql lookup module but I think it's the same
> with mysql:
>
> exim uses a new connection for each "instance" of it. i.e. if you do an
> address test, exim connects once and reuses this connection. However it
> has to open a new one after having re-executed itself.
>
> You can see this by enabling the debug mode quite easily. exim tells you
> when it opens a new connection and when it reuses one.
>
> Try the debug output to find the reason for your problems.
>

> Joachim

*
* Konrad Michels
* System Administrator