Re: [Exim] Request for transport_filter_timeout

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Request for transport_filter_timeout
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:15:06AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Dean Brooks wrote:
>
> > As a feature request, would it be possible to add a configurable
> > transport option of "transport_filter_timeout"?
> >
> > Currently, Exim 4.20 appears to have a hardcoded timeout of 300 seconds.
>
> Do you want to reduce this or increase it?
>
> There are actually two timeouts involved. The 300 seconds applies when
> Exim is waiting for output from the filter process; a 30-second timeout
> is applied when it is waiting for the process to finish (after reading
> "end of file").

The time it takes waiting for output from the filter process is the
main one.

As an Exim admin, I just want the process to finish in a certain
matter of time. I don't really care what the process was doing, what
state it was in, etc. If its not done within my time constraints,
then kill it.

For my spamassasin filter, I would set this value to 10 to 15 seconds,
because we may be getting 5 to 10 processes per *second*, and if the
remote system goes down, I could accumulate hundreds of filter processes
all waiting for the 300 second timeout.

Now, I'd really love a way to specify that if the transport_filter fails
to continue on with the transport instead of deferring, but that's
probably asking a bit too much. ;)

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???