Re: [Exim] strange failure to lookup IP address

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tom Davidson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] strange failure to lookup IP address
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Tom Davidson wrote:

> Unfortuantely I'm still getting the same problem having removed resolv.conf!

Well, I wouldn't expect any DNS resolution to work if you have removed
resolv.conf. At least on the systems I'm familiar with.

However, let's consider your debug output. It successfully routes the
original address:

expanded hostlist="mailrelay1:mailrelay2" options=
set transport remote_smtp_to_internet
fully qualified name = mailrelay1
mailrelay1 10.93.227.166
fully qualified name = mailrelay2
mailrelay2 10.93.227.167

Where does it get those IP addresses from? Not from the DNS, I presume.
Are they in your /etc/hosts file?

> routed by to_internet router
> envelope to: test@???
> transport: remote_smtp_to_internet
> host mailrelay1 [10.93.227.166]
> host mailrelay2 [10.93.227.167]

So it has routed the address to those two hosts (only).

> Connecting to mailrelay1 [10.93.227.166]:25 ... failed
> LOG: MAIN
> mailrelay1 [10.93.227.166]: Connection refused

> Connecting to mailrelay2 [10.93.227.167]:25 ... failed
> LOG: MAIN
> mailrelay2 [10.93.227.167]: Connection refused

Both connections fail, so:

> test@??? queued for fallback host(s)

Now it has to find an IP address for the fallback hosts:

> getting address for mailrelay1
> DNS lookup of mailrelay1 (A) gave TRY_AGAIN

It looks in the DNS and fails (because there's no resolv.conf). I
presume you don't *want* to look in the DNS. Try setting

gethostbyname = TRUE

on the smtp transport where fallback_hosts is set.