Re: [Exim] dnsdb lookup & cname's

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Saez
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] dnsdb lookup & cname's
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, David Saez wrote:

> If a dnsdb lookup for a a txt records gives a cname in the answer, how
> is this treated by exim ? is the cname returned as the lookup value or
> it does fail and makes the value available when doing a cname lookup ?

Simplest thing to do is to test it, using the -be option. That's what
I'm about to do, because I can't remember the details.

Hmm. I don't have a CNAME for a TXT record available, but for an A
record, it follows the CNAME. I would expect it to do the same for a TXT
record. OK, just to be sure, I'll set one up...

Yes, it does.

If you explicitly lookup a CNAME record, you get the value of the CNAME.