Re: [Exim] Problems....

Author: ODHIAMBO Washington
To: Stephen D. Malenshek
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems....
* Stephen D. Malenshek <smalenshek@???> [20030726 17:27]: wrote:
> I am attempting to convert our existing Exim configuration to reference
> a PostgreSQL database. The problem is that I am getting errors in the
> logs and quite honestly I am not sure as to which section is having the
> error. The errors are as follows:
>
> 2003-07-25 16:03:22 19g9eu-0001bL-8p == stephen@???
> routing defer (-51): retry time not reached
> 2003-07-25 16:03:33 19g9iv-0001br-FQ <= root@??? U=root
> P=local S=340 T="qwer" from <root@???> for
> stephen@???
> 2003-07-25 16:03:33 19g9iv-0001br-FQ == stephen@???
> R=remote_delivery defer (-1): domains check lookup or other defer
>
> I am setting this up on a development machine and from what I can tell,
> everything is in the database that needs to be there, so I figure it is
> a syntax issue with the configuration. The configuration is as follows:
>
> # SMTP router configuration.
> # Exim 4.12
>
> # Address of the server administrator.
> SERVER_ADMINISTRATOR    = postmaster@???

> # The server accepting mail for my local domains.
> LOCAL_RELAY_HOST    = pop3.internal.vlnx.net

> # Listen on addresses.
> local_interfaces    = 0.0.0.0

> # Specify your host's canonical name here.
> primary_hostname    = smtp.internal.vlnx.net

> # Domains which are treated as local users.
> domainlist domains_local = @
>
> # Domains for which I am the primary mail exchanger.
> domainlist domains_primary    = pgsql;select domainname from hostdomains where \
> domainname = '${quote_pgsql:$local_part}' and enabled = 1;

                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you sure about that line in that query or just the query in general?
And the name "domains_primary" is so confusing to me.

> # Domains for which I am a backup mail exchanger.
> domainlist domains_backup    = pgsql;select domainname from hostdomains where \
> domainname = '${quote_pgsql:$local_part}' and enabled = 1;

That query is the same as the one above it. Why have two anyway????

> # Hosts for which I will relay.
> hostlist relay_hosts    = pgsql;select ipblock from relays where \
>                         ipblock = '${quote_pgsql:$local_part}';

Your use of $local_part is rather strange!!! Exim knows what $local_part
should be. It can never be an IP address unless it's a database from hell.

> # net-pgsql;select ipblock from relays where ipblock='$sender_host_address'

What is that again???

> # Hosts which can go away
> hostlist black_hosts    = pgsql;select ipaddr from ipblacklist where \
>                         ipaddr = '${quote_pgsql:$local_part}'; : \
>                         pgsql;select domainname from domainblacklist where \
>                         domainname = '${quote_pgsql:$local_part}';

Hmm. I am still wondering what your database design is like. I am not a
DB guru, but I can never in my life use what you put here...
Is it that you have inherited a system whose former admin is hostile and
cannot help you?

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash@???>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

"Life is like a bowl of soup with hairs floating on it.  You have to
eat it nevertheless."
        -- Flaubert