Re: [Exim] Postfix Lookup problems.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Gareth Hopkins
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Postfix Lookup problems.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Gareth Hopkins wrote:

>    Is there a way of getting exim to do a database lookup on every
> request rather than using cached info it gets?

>    I am using exim 3.36 and postgres 7.3.3. and am having hassles
> with the following

Exim 3 is obsolete. However, I don't think this aspect has changed in
Exim 4.

> PGSQL query: SELECT * from lookup_domain('gabba.co.za')
> PGSQL using cached connection for localhost/mailstore/****/*********
> PGSQL: query failed: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.

Exim *is* doing another database lookup, but what it has cached is the
connection to the database. Looks like the database server timed out the
connection for some reason. Can you increase the timeouts on your
server?

>    This happens after a message is successfully delivered and it
> tries to send the next one.

That doesn't make sense, because a new message should be delivered in a
new process, which should open its own connection to the database.

> local_domains = "pgsql;SELECT * from lookup_domain('$key')"

On a busy system, that is a very expensive way to specify local domains.
Exim is going to be doing large numbers of lookups, because it uses this
list frequently.

The only way to stop exim caching database connections is to patch the
code.