Re: [Exim] Installing on RH9

Author: Xander D Harkness
To: Chris Barnes, exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Installing on RH9
Chris Barnes wrote:

>I've read the previous discussions, but there doesn't seem to be a
>consensus - what is the easiest way to install Exim 4.x on a RH 9 box?
>
>There is an RPM, but the discussions indicate that isn't doing things in
>a way that it really should. How hard is it to install from source?
>
>Our eventual goals are to have a mailsystem running
> Exim
> Courier Imap
> Amavis AV
> Spamassassin

To sort the SSL libraries out I used:

TLS_LIBS=-L/usr/share/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto

You might also like to have a look at the dovecot imap server. It
handles mbox and Maildir and will replace UW imap in the next Red Hat
release, in which case you can just continue to use their packages and
security updates if you prefer. I am running it and it picks up both
mbox and Maildir on the same user account.

You can leave exim installed alongside sendmail or postfix (which is
useful for dependancies with mutt etc.) by running the following commands:

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta /usr/sbin/exim 90 \
--slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/sbin/exim \
--slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases /usr/bin/newaliases.sendmail \
--slave /usr/bin/rmail mta-rmail /usr/sbin/exim \
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz mta-mailqman
/usr/share/man/man1/mailq.sendmail.1.gz \
--slave /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.1.gz mta-newaliasesman
/usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.sendmail.1.gz \
--slave /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.5.gz mta-aliasesman
/usr/share/man/man5/aliases.sendmail.5.gz \
--initscript exim

and then

alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/exim

You will need a redhat init script, which you can grab from here:
http://www.harkness.co.uk/wiki/uploads/exim

Kind regards
Xander