[Exim] Exim Installation on Multiple Interconnected sites

Author: Nyawallow James
To: Exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] Is acl_c9 available in a system filter?
Subject: [Exim] Exim Installation on Multiple Interconnected sites
Hi folks,

I would like to set up exim for my University which is fairly straight
forward! My complication is however as follows..

My university have been running exchange 2000 for a year now however, the
university opened a campus in another town (currently linked via Radio
Link). I intend to install exim at both sites (to conserve WAN
bandwidth).The scenario is that both sites (Main university and campus) have
users (students and staff) who would both be hosted @mydomain.edu. I however
do not know how to configure exim or another MTA (except exchange using site
connectors!) to pick mails for the university (mydomain.edu) form my ISP and
deliver mails for local users at the main campus while at the same time
forwarding all mails for users at the campus to the mailserver at the
remotecampus. I would also like to know how to configure the remotecampus
mailserver to process and deliver local mails to its local users while
forwarding all outbound mails and mails for main campus users to the
mailserver at the main campus.

Generally I would like both servers (sites) to have the same domain i.e.
user@??? such that users at both sites will have the same address
domain as indicated (user@???).Basically what am looking for is
sample config for a caompany and branch office setup where the company uses
one domain name. The twist is both sites have independent mails servers.

Questions:

Is this scenario possible?

If yes how do I configure this (send sample configs)

**I may find resistance removing exchange 2000 from some users, it is
possible to have it in the picture still? if yes on which side (main campus
or the remote campus?)

Currently the Main Campus is linked to the ISP while the remote campus is
linked to the main campus therefore any mails in/out the university have to
go through the main campus link.

Any ideas including suitable MTA is welcome.

**For the curious, am moving to exim because frankly the university cannot
afford the hassles related to licencing Microsoft products. In any case I
believe our students and staff need adequate exposure on open source and
probably contribute in its development and advocacy.

Thanks

Nyawallow