Re: [Exim] feature request

Author: Rick Cooper
To: exim-users, exim-users
CC: david
Subject: Re: [Exim] feature request
Exim 4.2 spec section 23 generic options for routers :

return_path Type: string, expanded Default: unset

If this option is set, the string is expanded at transport time and
replaces the existing return path (envelope sender) value in the copy of
the message that is being delivered. An empty return path is permitted.
This feature is designed for remote deliveries, where the value of this
option is used in the SMTP MAIL command. If you set return_path for a
local transport, the only effect is to change the address that is placed
in the Return-path: header line, if one is added to the message (see the
next option).

The expansion can refer to the existing value via $return_path. This is
either the message's envelope sender, or an address set by the
errors_address option on a router. If the expansion is forced to fail,
no replacement occurs; if it fails for another reason, delivery is
deferred. This option can be used to support VERP (Variable Envelope
Return Paths) - see chapter 42.

Note: If a delivery error is detected locally, the bounce message is not
sent to the value of this option, but to the previously set errors
address.

Rick Cooper