Re: [Exim] logging of non writable log files

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Lutz Pressler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] logging of non writable log files
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Lutz Pressler wrote:

> This leads to the situation, that the (remote) deliveries do not
> turn up in the log file at all, probably because the log file is
> owned (and writable) by "exim", the delivering processes running
> as "mail" though.
>
> No trace in paniclog (same situation) and syslog either.

Have you tried a debugging delivery to see what it says?

> Maybe that could be improved, as the spec in chapter 44 states
> "When Exim cannot open its panic log, it tries as a last resort
> to write to the system log (syslog). This is opened with
> LOG_PID+LOG_CONS and the facility code of LOG_MAIL. The message
> itself is written at priority LOG_CRIT."

I do have a test for that as part of my test suite. Whenever I run it, I
see this on my console:

Jul 23 09:11:55 xxxxxx.xxx.cam.ac.uk exim: 2003-07-23 09:11:55 Cannot open main log file "/non/existent/path/to/force/failure/main": No such file or directory: euid=0 egid=42
Jul 23 09:11:55 xxxxxx.xxx.cam.ac.uk exim: exim: could not open panic log - aborting: see message(s) above

and the same appears in my syslog.

So we need to track down why it doesn't work for you...