Re: [Exim] logging of non writable log files

Autor: Lutz Pressler
A: jvanasco
CC: Lutz Pressler, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] logging of non writable log files
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 jvanasco@??? wrote:

> did you try changing permissions of the log files so that exim can
> write to it?

No, but as setting exim_user differently from the compiled in value
is a configuration error when using -C (not only regarding
log files) (*), that should be logged somewhere (syslog).

(*) I hope, that I'm correct here.
In spec 5.2 "-C <filelist" contains
"When this option is used by a caller other than root or the Exim user,
and the list is different from the compiled-in list, Exim gives up its
root privilege immediately, and runs with the real and effective uid
and gid set to those of the caller."
As "Exim user" must be the compiled in ("mail") one at that stage and
the delivery process is called as "exim" (as the main daemon changed
uid to the exim_user set in the configuration file), I read the
above that the delivery process "runs with the real and effective uid
and gid set to those of the caller" = "exim". But as the log file
(owned by "exim") is inaccessible, that's obviously not what's
happening. Where is my mistake?

Lutz

--
  _              |  Lutz Pressler          |  Tel: ++49-551-3700002
 |_     |\ |     |  Service Network GmbH   |  FAX: ++49-551-3700009