Re: [Exim] exim: SMTP error from remote mailer after end of …

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Onno Benschop
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim: SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data {} incoming data timeout - closing connection
On (2003/07/22 18:39), Onno Benschop wrote:

> > > My logs say:
> > >
> > >       * SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data: host
> > >         {theirHostName} [{theirHostIP}]: 421 {theirHostName} SMTP
> > >         incoming data timeout - closing connection.

> > > Theirs have lots of log entries like:
> > >
> > >       * SMTP data timeout (message abandoned) on connection from
> > >         ({myHostName}) [{myHostIP}]

> > Have you read the Exim 4 FAQ Q0068 and others that are indexed by
> > "timeout"?
>
> I had, and this doesn't seem to apply, given that the tcp_ecn is already
> "0" and no other hosts have any problems at all...

Well worth checking the transport layer (TCP).

I recently had an issue where my boss suddenly lost the ability to send
mail to our corporate gateway for relay from home. He got the same
message ("SMTP data timeout (message abandoned)") you quoted above.

Turns out, his network provider suddenly started filtering SMTP
connections to foreign hosts at the DATA command!

In my experience, it's worthless looking at Exim once you've seen that
error message -- your problem lies lower down.

Ciao,
Sheldon.