Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers

Author: Tony Finch
To: ph10
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

>How many OS use bare CR as a line ending?

The most common one is Mac OS. I don't know if it's still the case for
Mac OS X, though. Acorn also used bare CRs, but that's not practically
useful information these days.

>3. As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong) Cyrus treats bare
> CRs as line terminators. A message with a bare CR in a header line
> probably then causes the header to be prematurely terminated.

My suggestion of transforming bare CR to CRLF space (or CRLF tab) was
intended for headers only. I'm not to happy with following the Cyrus
interpretation since it means different people along the relay chain
see different header information on the same message. I'm also not happy
about quietly throwing nasty octets away.

>4. Should there be any options to change these interpretations? If the
> answer is "no", the drop_cr and -dropcr options can be made into
> no-ops and obsoleted. If the answer is "yes", what is needed?

I note that RFC 3030 (BINARYMIME) doesn't have anything helpful to say --
it still insists on CRLF newlines :-(

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
SHANNON: WEST 3 OR 4 BACKING SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER IN WEST.