Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers

Author: Yves Goergen
To: James P. Roberts, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers
> Given that it affects bodies, I conclude that it should NOT be on by default,
> since an MTA should not mess with bodies.
> (...)
> (1) MTA's should not modify message bodies.

I'm not that mail & RFC expert and I don't have the problem discussed here, but why shouldn't an MTA 'correct' line endings in headers and/or bodies of e-mail messages? Shouldn't there be a common format for internet transfers and isn't the entire mail processing line-based? (And that on different platforms with different line-endings.)

Now I think that changing line-endings won't be any problem, is it? Of course, as long as they're not changed in their meaning. Could anyone please explain this to me?

-yves