Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers

Author: Barry Pederson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRLF input through pipe causes mangled headers
Philip Hazel wrote:

> There is a known issue in the way Cyrus and Exim treat line endings.

> Exim lives in a Unix world. In the Unix world, line ends are represented
> by LF characters alone. If you pass a local file to Exim, it expects it
> to use the convention of the local operating system, namely, to have LF
> line endings. If you create a file with CRLF line endings, you are
> breaking the conventions of the world. Exim will treat the CRs as data
> characters. (You can use -dropcr to tell it to drop CRs, however.)

> The world is in a mess as regards line endings. It is hard to know what
> should be done.

doh! should have know Exim would have a way to handle this. Added

    drop_cr = true

to the configuration file and all seems fine now. I guess seeing it happen
just for the first line and not the entire message, and seeing Sendmail
handle it ok made me think: bug in Exim header processing.

I wonder if drop_cr should default to true? more compatible with sendmail
that way?

Thanks Philip

    Barry