[Exim] FreeBSD, exim, and sendmail host status cache message

Author: Joe Altman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] FreeBSD, exim, and sendmail host status cache message
I made world, etcetera, earlier this week; and a new message is
showing up in my daily system maintenance email:

Removing stale entries from sendmail host status cache:
exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or incomplete option -bH

This results from /etc/periodic/daily/150.clean-hoststat, which
basically cleans the named cache.

I assume that the messages are harmless, and just indicative of a
failure of the script relevant to Exim flags. I also note that there
is no hoststat entry for mailer.conf in this FAQ: Q9201 for FreeBSD.

A post in June to this group contained this:

hoststat        /usr/bin/true

As an addition to mailer.conf.

I surmise (based on reading the man page for true) that this entry
will cause the "Removing stale entries" to cease showing up in my
daily email. Or, perhaps, an entry into /etc/periodic.conf, similar to
this:

daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO" # No separate 'submit' queue

Will cause the messages to cease.

But I'm not sure if I am correct; and request a clue, please. If it is
the latter, an entry into /etc/periodic.conf, what would the syntax
be?

Something like:

daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"     #please don't bug me w/ notices
                     #about /var/spool/.hoststat

Thank you for your time.

--
Free the West Memphis Three