Re: [Exim] Puzzling RBL rejections

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Jeff Green
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Puzzling RBL rejections
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Jeff Green wrote:

>    deny    log_message = (ACL) RBL rejection
>            message = Administrative prohibition: if you believe this is in
> error please resend to postmaster
>            dnslists = relays.ordb.org :\
>                       orbs.dorkslayers.com :\
>                       relays.osirusoft.org :\
>                       sbl.spamhaus.org :\
>                       opm.blitzed.org
>            hosts = +rbl_hosts

I can't answer your actual question, but two things here seem to be
sub-optimal.

If you had included $dnslist_domain into your log_message, then you
would already know which of the dnslists had triggered the rejection.
As it is, you're stumbling around looking at the situation at a
different point in time, and (not so very surprisingly) getting a
different answer.

On my second point I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that with the
recipe as written, you're going to look-up the DNS lists for all
hosts, and then effectively ignore the answer for those which aren't
in +rbl_hosts: wouldn't it be preferable to get that +rbl_hosts test
done first, to avoid the DNS lookup overhead for hosts that arent in
+rbl_hosts ?

(I'm not sure whether I'm in any position to comment on your choice of
RBLs - but I thought dorkslayers was out of action, for one thing.)