Re: [Exim] helo verifying

Author: Mike Meredith
To: Kevin Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] helo verifying
Hi

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 06:49, Kevin Reed wrote:
> I used something like that until I found some hosts were playing with
> the case of the system name. Any letter that is Uppercase would
> defeat the above...
>
>         # If the HELO as my own hostname, drop them
>         drop    message = You may not HELO of this system's hostname
>                 log_message = HELO of system's hostname
>                 set acl_m8 = ${lc:$sender_helo_name}
>                 set acl_m7 = ${lc:$primary_hostname}
>                 condition = ${if eq{$acl_m8}{$acl_m7}{yes}{no}}

> I wanted to compare the lc (lowercase) version of both but couldn't
> figure out how to code it without an error. The above worked but I'm
> sure it could be done without the variables.

It appears that :-

  deny message = You may not HELO of this system's hostname
    condition = ${if eq{${lc:$sender_helo_name}}\
    {${lc:$primary_hostname}} {yes}{no}}

works.

I'm not sure that 'drop' would be a good idea; spamware may ignore a
dropped connection, but a standard MTA may hammer on your server trying
to get something more appropriate.

- --
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer   /~\ The ASCII
University of Portsmouth                    \ / Ribbon Campaign
                                             X  Against HTML
Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security         / \ Email!