Re: [Exim] Bug: Automatic re-routing of domains

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Andreas J Mueller
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Bug: Automatic re-routing of domains
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Andreas J Mueller wrote:

> Obviously, the dnslookup router first changes the domain from dot.tk
> to DOT.TK, and subsequently skips the address, because it thinks it
> has already routed it.

Oh dear, oh dear. Handling the case of letters has proved to be one of
the biggest problems in Exim.

> Proposed solution: Exim should ignore differences in the case of
> letters when doing automatic domain re-routing. After all, domains
> are routed case-insensitively.

That is true. The only reason Exim pays any attention to domain casing
is that some people feel strongly about the casing of their domain
names. Early Exims just lowercased everything, end of story, but people
complained, so it now tries to retain the casing for use in SMTP
commands and log lines (for example).

The problem arises when multiple words can be misread if all in the same
case. There was an example published recently: powergenitalia.something.
It was an Italian electrical company, and looks somewhat more decent as
PowergenItalia.something.

Problem is noted. I will see what I can do about it.