Re: [Exim] Odd problems when sending to specific mail adress…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tom Kistner
CC: Florian Laws, 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Odd problems when sending to specific mail adresses
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Tom Kistner wrote:

> To confirm this theory, you could change the block size exim uses (use a
> third of the size to make the packets smaller). This will not fix the
> problem (!?), but it will affect different email bodies.
>
> Then, to see who is the culprit, you really need to track that single
> packets way over the whole network path.
>
> Philip, can the buffer size easily be adjusted?

Only by re-compiling (set DELIVER_OUT_BUFFER_SIZE in Local/Makefile).

In principle this should not make any difference, because all it changes
is the size of the buffer that Exim uses to pass data to the TCP/IP
stack. The TCP/IP implementation is at liberty to cut up or amalgamate
these blocks into packets as it sees fit.

However, in practice, people have reported that it can make a
difference. I suspect that timing comes into it somewhere.