Re: [Exim] Spam relaying problem

Author: Andrew - Supernews
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam relaying problem

Tim> I've also gone through my mail logs and can find nothing
Tim> matching the examples sent to me, for example:

>> To: <rooter99@???>
>> Cc: <emmafalla@???>, <fboyd60483@???>, <avadootz@???>,
>> <emnr@???>
>> From: toumer@???
>> Subject: Fwd: Vital Refresh to Your Mortgage Application
>> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:20:45 -0800

If this were being relayed through you, then I'd expect to see a
Received header showing where you got it from. Plus, it would be using
your HELO and not a faked one. So like you say, this is probably
nothing to do with exim.

Assuming the easydns.com Received header isn't itself a forgery (was
it the only Received header in the sample? i.e. was it a sample taken
directly from easydns's mail system?), then the most likely situation
is that you have an open proxy or a spam-sending trojan on your
network. Try monitoring your outgoing traffic to see what's going on.

--
Andrew, Supernews