Re: [Exim] no IP address found for host [our own domain]

Author: Andreas J Mueller
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] no IP address found for host [our own domain]
Hi Alan!

> 2003-07-09 12:34:21 no IP address found for host physics.gla.ac.uk

> Or maybe the log message cited above is doing no harm (other than
> being noise), considering that it's only a "try"_verify, and that
> the ACL which actually does the work of computing the bogosity score
> can readily disregard the non-verification for our respected clients.

The log message is a fairly recent addition to Exim, but it is
harmless. The respected clients would have failed HELO verification
even before it came up. If it bothers you, turn it off by disabling
the host_lookup_failed log selector.

Clients have been observed to present all kinds of junk during HELO.
This is not an excuse for not observing the RFCs, just a fact. ;-)
It makes only sense to verify the HELO string if you are accepting
mail from real MTAs, who should be more careful in what they send.

When a client presents a valid authentication, it is irrelevant if
their HELO does not verify. You already have everything you need to
identify them.

Andy