Re: [Exim] Re: Exim 4 manualroute bug/feature

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Russell Wilton
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Exim 4 manualroute bug/feature
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Russell Wilton wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. In my case, however, I need both the
> truncated local_part for the LDAP lookup and also the original version
> to send out.

You can create a truncated part for an LDAP lookup by using suitable
string expansion features. Match with a regular expression a and use $1
or whatever to get the truncated part. Check out the ${sg operator.

> My concern is that it took me quite by surprise that a maunaulroute
> router would change the recipient address for any reason.

The prefix/suffix options behave the same way on all routers.

> A manualroute
> option to tell it to set the local_part back to the original value
> before calling the transport would be nice. Or maybe that should be the
> default....

Not the default. Existing uses of affixes rely on the current behaviour.
But I do have a wishlist item for a generic transport option to use the
original local part.

> And while I'm on the topic of manualroute enhancements :-) It would be
> useful if one could force a pass, fail or defer outcome by setting the
> route_data appropriately, in a manner similar to the :defer: and :fail:
> features of the redirect router. The functionality is partly there in
> that one can set the route_data to null to get a pass, or to some bogus
> value that fails and use host_find_failed to get the desired outcome.

A slightly tidier way to do this is to set the route_data to 127.0.0.1
and use the "self" option, which has several settings, including those
that you want. Although it's a big clumsy, I'm not sure we need another
explicit way of doing this.