Re: [Exim] Empty lookup result in authenticators (a stupid q…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alexander V Alekseev
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Empty lookup result in authenticators (a stupid question).
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Alexander V Alekseev wrote:

> login:
>     driver = plaintext
>     public_name = LOGIN
>     server_prompts = Username:: : Password::
>     hide server_condition = ${if eq{$2}{PASSWORD_LOOKUP}{yes}{no}}
>     server_set_id = $1
> ---------------------------------------
>    If PASSWORD_LOOKUP doesn't end with "fail", it accepts
> empty passwords for unknown accounts.
>    If PASSWORD_LOOKUP ends with "fail" I get the following
> reply from exim in SMTP session:

> --------------------------------------
> AUTH login
> 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
> aHJicmZy
> 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
>
> 435 Unable to authenticate at present
> --------------------------------------

What is in PASSWORD_LOOKUP? It appears that it is failing to complete
for some reason. Have you tried running a debugging test? For example,
with -d and -bh?

>    But how could I get the proper "535 Incorrect authentication
> data" ?

If the expansion is forced to fail, authentication fails. I suspect you
may have a syntax error or something similar.

>    Any ideas? Is there  a way to distinguish between "not
> found" lookup result, and "lookup failed" (server error for example)?

Yes. "Not found" can be turned into a string of your choice, or cause
the expansion to fail. Server error will provoke a temporary error.