RE: [Exim] reverse DNS lookup for virtual domains

Author: Jos Elkink
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] reverse DNS lookup for virtual domains

> >I've got a question. I'm just setting up my Exim server
> (version 3.35 as
> >shipped with Debian 'testing'). I have a server (flizzle.net) with
> >several subdomains on the same IP. Exim, however, always
> does a reverse
> >DNS lookup, finds the wrong hostname (e.g. when mail arrives for
> >cantr.net, one of the virtual domains, it looks up the IP, and finds
> >flizzle.net), and then refuses the mail. How can I make it that the
> >server does not lookup hostnames that are considered local?
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated! :)
>
> this whole thing does not make sense. named virtual domain are an
> issue with http and webservers. mail is delivered to the MX, if you
> do not set up an MX for your "virtual" domains and use only A
> records, then your DNS is misconfigured.
> unless you meant something different but someone will have to tell me
> what it is as I have no much time to think at the moment.

The http / webserver part works fine, it is really Exim where I have a
problem.

The DNS seems to be configured correctly. E.g. brandarisstation is one
of those virtual domains and the main domain is flizzle.net:

# dig mx brandarisstation.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> mx brandarisstation.net
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;brandarisstation.net.          IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
brandarisstation.net.   300     IN      MX      10 flizzle.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
brandarisstation.net.   300     IN      NS      ns1c.johncompanies.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1c.johncompanies.com. 154863  IN      A       198.78.70.180

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Jul 7 17:29:29 2003
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 114