Re: [Exim] Rewritting certain addresses.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kevin Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rewritting certain addresses.
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Kevin Reed wrote:

> I have a situation where I need to change the sender address on email that
> is received for specific hostnames.

1. Do you really mean for specific hosts, or for specific domains?

2. What do you want to do if a message has more than one recipient, and
only some of them are for these specific hosts/domains?

> Example:
>
>    9182222222@???    ->
> 9182222222@attfax@???

Ah, so you are talking about email domain names.

Note that 9182222222@attfax@??? is a syntactically
invalid address. Do you mean "9182222222@????

> It would then be sent to serverA.domain.com.

Eh? You just said you want to change the *sender* address. Surely that
shouldn't affect where you send the mail?

> I know how to pickout the hosts put before the dnslookup router....
>
> wierdroute:
> driver = accept
> domains = "partial-lsearch;/usr/local/exim4/wierdroutes"
> transport = weird_route
> no_more
>
> But if I read the manual correctly, the transport cannot rewrite the
> envelope address. Even if it could, I don't know how to get
> 9182222222@??? to be 9182222222@attfax@???.

A transport *can* rewrite an envelope sender address. It is done by
using the return_path option. Transports can NOT rewrite envelope
recipient addresses.