Re: [Exim] help with failing address

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Roberts
CC: Giuliano Gavazzi, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] help with failing address
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Jon Roberts wrote:

> Thanks. I forced delivery and now see that the "Connection timed out".

"Connection timed out" means that your host was unable to make a TCP/IP
connection to the remote server. It can either mean that the server is
down, the network between you is down, or these is a more subtle
networking (possibly routing) problem that is preventing the connection
from being set up.

> Please forgive my inexperience.

We were all inexperenced once. :-) (I still am, in many areas.)

> Could this be a form of rejection based on the header or content of the
> message?

No, since it hasn't even got as far as trying to transmit the message.

> This is happening so consistently to this single address, which
> is actively accepting mail from other sources all the time,

Aha! That suggests the problem lies in the network between the client
and the server. Take a look at Q0068 in the Exim 4 FAQ. There are a
number of suggestions in the FAQ about this kind of problem.

> Alternately, is there a way to lengthen the timeout threshhold? I can't
> find anything in the docs.

There is, but it is unlikely to help. See connect_timeout for the smtp
transport, but the default is 5 minutes.