Re: [Exim] Interpreting Subject: lines - opinions, please

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Interpreting Subject: lines - opinions, please
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> I have two questions I'd need answering.
>
> 1 What encoding is the match string using ?

Encoding is the nightmare. The easy thing is to turn the Q (quoted
printable) or B (base64) encoding back into individual "binary".
Subsequently converting that to some other encoding begs the question:
what do we convert to?

The patch I was sent came from Japan, and it defaults to a Japanese
encoding. The default is screwed into the code, but is configurable.
However, I'm not at all convinced it makes sense in the generic Exim
code.

> we could invent a syntax such as:
>    if $h_subject: contains $encoding{iso-8859-1}{"Internet café"}
> which would allow the encoding of the match string.

But "ordinary" users are never going to be experienced enough to realize
that they need such complexity.

> 2 The same subject line could also be encoded as (I think)
>    Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Internet_caf=C3=A9?=

> Do we want your test to match both of these subject lines, or just one ?

Good question, to which I do not know the answer. There is already a
${from_utf8: operator that converts from UTF-8 to single bytes, assuming
all the code points are < 256. In effect, from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1.

The most basic thing that Exim could do would be to decode to a binary
string, but no more.

> Non-ASCII readers will be in a better position than me to judge;
> can the average user put a string like "Internet café" into their
> filter file with their favourite editor and have the result in an
> unambiguous encoding ?

I suspect that what happens in most places is that the local encoding is
used, though maybe UTF-8 is getting more wide use these days.