[Exim] CRAM-MD5 auth exim3.35

Author: Miroslav Hudec
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] CRAM-MD5 auth exim3.35
Hi EximGurus,

I have troubles with authed relaying, with the CRAM-MD5 driver which
looks like
(debian exim 3.35)

cram:
        driver = cram_md5
        public_name = CRAM-MD5
        server_secret = ${if
eq{$2}{${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/auth.pass}{$value}fail}}{yes}{no}}
        server_set_id = $1

and the /etc/exim/auth.pass contains
login password

The other auth drivers  Login and Plain are working ok  (Loging and
Plain driver were tested via  telnet session, Plain was tested also  by
mozilla-1.4  mailclient  - when the cram-md5 failed  mozilla-1.4 was
authed by the PLAIN driver and relayed the message)
the configs are:
plain:
        driver = plaintext
        public_name = PLAIN
        server_condition = ${if
eq{$3}{${lookup{$2}lsearch{/etc/exim/auth.pass}{$value}fail}}{yes}{no}}
        server_set_id = $2
login:
         driver = plaintext
         public_name = LOGIN
         server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
         server_condition = ${if
eq{$2}{${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/auth.pass}{$value}fail}}{yes}{no}}
         server_set_id = $1

However I was not able to auth. myself via CRAM-MD5. I'm still getting
the

Authentication failed for neuron-ai.fei.tuke.sk (neuron.tuke.sk)
[147.232.24.11] (hudecm): 535 Incorrect authentication data

messasge with mozilla's and opera's mail clients as well as when simulating
connection through telnet session.

(the steps for telnet session were taken from the exim book pp.358. I was
able to reproduce the encoding and decoding of messages mentoined in that
book. btw. there is an typo - the "Server send" encoded string is not
the same as the to md5 digest submitted one , maybe it should appear in
errata

S: 334 PDE4OTYuNjk3MTcwOTUyQHBvc3RvZmZpY2UucmVzdG9uLm1jaS5uZXQ+
echo PDE4OTYuNjk3MTcwOTUyQHBvc3RvZmZpY2UucmVzdG9uLm1jaS5uZXQ+|base64 -d
<1896.697170952@???>

but for md5sum is the <1896.697170952@???>secret
used
)

(the same way i decoded and encoded the communication of the example above
, i have tried to decode/encode the CRAM-MD5 communication from 2195 RFC
but with no success (well I dunno why) http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2195.html
echo -n "<1896.697170952@???>tanstaaftanstaaf"|md5sum
d16ff9ac2a65d209022d7eb541ecf24d
and their MD5 is
b913a602c7eda7a495b4e6e7334d3890
)

the telnet session also ended up with Incorrect authentication data
message :( . well the both sessions (telnet and mozilla) were watched
throug debug_level=15, and I can NOT find the client's response
SMTP<< AUTH CRAM-MD5
SMTP>> 334 PDk1NjYuMTA1NzUwMDgyNEBjdXJpb3VzLmZiaS5nb3Y+
SMTP>> 535 Incorrect authentication data

LOG: 0 MAIN REJECT
Authentication failed for .............

Can somebody give me an advice, please, how to get the client's response
(to see if it is transmitted correctly), or how to debug the decoding process?

Thank you

Miro