[Exim] exim authenticating with yahoo mail

Author: Andrew McCready
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim authenticating with yahoo mail
As some of you may know, yahoo's smtp server requires
authentication to send email. I've been trying to get
this to work, but so far have been unsuccessful. (this
is on exim running on my laptop, so I'm the only
person sending email from it). I tried using the plain
authentication, but I'm not sure I set my
'client_send' string correctly. Here's the
authentication config I have:

  plain:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = PLAIN
    client_send = "^ajmccready@???^pass"

(where pass is replaced with my actual password)

I did some packet analysis and found that exim does
send

    AUTH PLAIN <scrambled>

(where I assume the scrambled stuff is a md5 of the
client_send string) and gets back

    535 authorization failed (#5.7.0)

Any idea whats wrong?