Re: [Exim] rewrite login names with aliases for outgoing mai…

Author: Walt Reed
To: Wolfgang.Fuertbauer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewrite login names with aliases for outgoing mails
On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 04:46:34PM +0200, Wolfgang.Fuertbauer@??? said:
> I want to rewrite login names with full name from /etc/aliases
> for all outgoing mails; who can help me please
>
> -- part of /etc/aliases --
> leo.schenner:           schenl
> wolfgang.fuertbauer:    fuertw
> bogdan.florea:          floreb

The default Debian configuration had this in the rewrite section:

*@mylocaldomain.com    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses} {$value}fail} frFs

The idea is that the "email-addresses" file contains maps from
local user names (such as schenl) to other names. Example:

schenl: leo.schenner@???

You obviously don't want to rewrite everything in /etc/aliases, and the
mapping is in reverse so you need the extra file. In the config,
"mylocaldomain.com" should be whatever domain you set for
"qualify_domain".

Oh yeah, this is for Exim 4.X, but I think the 3.X is similar.