Re: [Exim] HOTMAIL

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: ODHIAMBO G. Washington
CC: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] HOTMAIL
ODHIAMBO G. Washington wrote:

> * Thomas Kinghorn <thomask@???> [20030701 12:02]: wrote:
>
>>Hi List.
>>
>>I get a tremendous amount of mail from hotmail
>>to the account inocencia**** {where * is a random letter.}
>

> BTW, while still on this, does anyone know if HOTMAIL users
> can still access the hotmail servers by ASMTP???

Not ASMTP. Hotmail's webmail is accessible from other clients using a
WebDAV API. Outlook Express (and some clients like Gotmail available on
freshmeat) implement this API. So do some spamware clients apparently -
spammers seem to have got hold of a way to automate creation of
hotmail accounts and posting through their web interface.

Hotmail seems to have cracked down on this a lot though - the problem is
not nearly as bad as it was a while back. And remember the recent
stories about Microsoft suing some spammers? Those are / were the
idiots who were spamming through hotmail.

    srs