Re: [Exim] how to configure HELO/EHLO and DNS for multi-home…

Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
A: Daniel Lawson
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] how to configure HELO/EHLO and DNS for multi-homed hosts
[ On Monday, June 30, 2003 at 16:12:33 (+1200), Daniel Lawson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] how to configure HELO/EHLO and DNS for multi-homed hosts
>
> At the point of flogging this horse silly, my host binary doesn't
> support '-A' either
>
> I'm running bind 9.2.1, however I also downloaded the source to 9.2.2,
> the most recent version of bind recommended by ISC to run, and its host
> binary makes no mention at all of a -A parameter.

Unfortunately that's not at all surprising. ISC have refused to upgrade
the default 'host' program they supply for over a decade now, even
though it was nearly a decade out of date at that time! ;-)

For some time they did supply a newer, but still out-dated, version in
the contrib part of the BIND release, but if I'm not mistaken even this
version has been removed in BIND-9 (which would actually be a "Very Good
thing(tm)", if only they'd remove the one built in bin/dig as well).

> Did you mean "host -v -t A" ? Or are you running a version of host
> provided -- and patched -- by a vendor, such as RedHat, who often make
> changes like this to their packages (tcpdump, ls, etc)

Haven't you heard of, or don't you use, FreshMeat.net? That's were you
can find not just announcements of new freeware releases, but also
search for other stuff in what's turned out to be a very excellent
freeware software directory.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but since you asked I guess I get to
plug it yet again! :-)

    <URL:http://www.weird.com/~woods/projects/host.html>

(FYI '-A' was mostly working in versions of 'host' many years before I
took it over, though the most recent release improves the error messages
significantly and makes '-v' explain in even more detail and a future
release will improve various checking algorithms even more as well.)

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>